Feis Cup semi-final – Baker’s dozen at Donore

By Club


Sunday’s Feis Cup semi-final at Donore produced an amazing 13 goals as Navan O’Mahonys finished with five points to spare over neighbours Seneschalstown.
Navan O’Mahonys ……. 6-14
Seneschalstown ………. 7-6

The holders were never headed while David Nelson’s men responded positively when Seneschalstown threatened to overtake them in the latter stages.

Seneschalstown ‘s sub Niall Lyons’ 58th minute goal (deflected off Ian Matthews) left just two points in it. O’Mahonys – who led by ten points heading into the final quarter – finished positively as Shane Gillespie netted with sub Ruairi O Coileain providing the assist.

O Coileain also contributed to O’Mahonys’ penultimate goal in the 52nd minute when his shot was saved by Seneschalstown goalkeeper David Lyons who diverted the ball into the path of the inrushing David Bray. That left it 5-14 to 4-6.

Brian Sheridan fired home the pick of the seven Seneschalstown goals following an exchange of passes with brother Joe. Andy McCann’s men might have got another goal but Martin Sherlock blocked Niall Lyons’ close range effort before Gillespie netted his second goal.

O’Mahonys were never headed and the scores were tied twice over the course of the game. The first time was in response to wing-back John Rogers’ opener when Shane Clarke landed a free in the third minute.

Some sweeping moves propelled the Brews Hill side to a 1-6 to 0-2 lead 12 minutes in with seven different players contributing. Next up Kevin Reilly became the first O’Mahonys player to score twice.

When Joe Sheridan scored 1-1 in quick succession around the 20th minute, O’Mahonys’ lead was down to four points, 1-7 to 1-3. Regaining composure, they went on to lead by 1-10 to 1-4 at half-time.

O’Mahonys’ first score from a free courtesy of Jake Regan moved them seven points clear within a minute of the restart. Goals in quick succession from Joe Sheridan and James Meade helped Seneschalstown to parity for the second and final time by the 35th minute.

A positive response resulted in goals from Shane Gillespie and Niall McKeigue and by the three-quarter mark there were nine points in it. Ross Geraghty became the 10th O’Mahonys’ player to get on the scoresheet.

When Stephen Bray goaled in the 46th minute the town side led by 11 points. The remainder of the game yielded six goals, four to Seneschalstown. Decisively O’Mahonys were able to find the necessary response when their lead was threatened


O’Mahonys – Martin Sherlock; Cormac Reilly, Niall McKeigue (1-0), Ian Matthews; Shane Crosby (0-1), Paddy Smyth, John Rogers (0-1); Kevin Reilly (0-2), Darragh Maguire (0-1); Shane Gillespie (2-1), Stephen Bray (1-2), Henry Finnegan (0-1); David Bray (2-1), Jake Regan (0-3, 2fs), Ross Geraghty (0-1). Subs – Ruairi O Coileain for Regan (49), Darragh Smyth for Rogers (54), Conor Doyle for Matthews (60).
Seneschalstown – David Lyons; David Matthews, Cormac Noonan, James Byrne; Mark Carey, Gary Conlon (0-1), Niall Groome; Damien Sheridan, Robert Ruddy (1-0); Shane Clarke (0-2 fs), James Meade (1-1), Brian Sheridan (2-1, 0-1f); Brian Clarke (0-1f), Joe Sheridan (2-1), James Conlon. Subs – Niall Lyons (1-0) for Conlon (20), Eamonn Sheridan for Groome (43), Ciaran Macken for B Clarke (49), Niall Darby for S Clarke (54).


Referee – Patrick Coyle (Curraha).