O’Mahonys Minor Footballers advance to Semi-final stages.

By Gerry McGrane


O’Mahonys 2-17
Ratoath 1-3

The wet, soft and miserable conditions did not put the Brews Hill lads off in this home quarter final tie as they focused hard on the ultimate goal of bringing the Minor Football Championship back to Navan!

Finian Murtagh, fresh from his midweek success in Pairc Tailteann made a small number of tactical changes from the side that overcome Summerhill in the previous round, made easier by the return from absence and/or injury of a couple of influential players.

It was a one-sided affair with O’Mahonys leading from start to finish. Leading 1-3 to no score after only five mins, the Hoops got the start they deserved. Conor Murphy was in fine form and was proving difficult to defend as he pointed from different angles with relative ease. O’Mahonys continued to add four more points in the following seven minutes before Ratoath registered their first free to leave the sides 1-7 to 0-1. Corey Leddy duly stepped up and answered with a good point from play within five mins of the conceded free. Captain, Robbie Keleghan made no mistake with three more good points from frees before the interval where the O’Mahonys lads headed for the shelter of the dressing room leading by 1-11 to 0-1.

The second half saw O’Mahonys continue their charge with an early goal from Conor Murphy (his second) in the opening minutes. This was followed up by points from Peter Butler, Corey Leddy and Ruairi O’Coileann, as well as a free from Murphy before Ratoath pointed a free in the sixth minute from the resumption of play. Murphy added a further point to close the third quarter with a scoreline of 2-15 to 0-2. O’Mahonys used their full tally of substitutions in the second half and although guilty of minor lapses of concentration, they never looked like conceding this match.

Once again, it was the full back line of Doyle, O’Malley and Leech as well as the full forward line of Keeleghan, McEntaggert and Leddy who showed that O’Mahonys will not be easily dispensed with in this competition. A solid performance from Ruairi O’Coileann at midfield along with a fine, determined display from Conor Murphy in the half forward line left little more to be said at the post match review with team Manager, Finian Murtagh. Training resumes next week under the watchful eye of John Brennan and Alan Duffy while the panel awaits the outcome of the other quarter final matches to determine who the next opponents will be.


1. Colm Honan
2. James O’Malley
3. Conor Doyle
4. Andy Leech
5. Declan McGuinness
6. Sean McEntaggert
7. Patrick Leahy
8. Ruairi O’Coileann (0-1)
9. Stephen Monaghan
10. Peter Butler (0-1)
11. Conor Murphy (2-6)
12. Conor Gleeson (0-1)
13. Robert Keeleghan (0-5, 4 from frees).
14. Cormac McEntaggert
15. Corey Leddy (0-3)


Duggie Dillon for Cormac Entaggert (35mins).
Bryan Gibney for Conor Gleeson (45mins).
Kevin O’Hanlon for Peter Butler (50mins).
Darragh Green for Patrick Leahy (50 mins).
Chris Bell for Corey Leddy (55mins).