SFC: 10-point turnaround secures draw with Na Fianna

By Club


Having been nine points in arrears early on holders Navan O’Mahonys were held to a draw in this hoganstand.com SFC Group C round two clash at sunny Trim on Friday evening.

O’Mahonys …… 2-12
Na Fianna …….. 2-12

Shane Gillespie’s 58th minute goal saw the holders hit the front for the only time. Daniel Queeney’s stoppage time free secured a draw for last year’s SFC runners-up.

The concession of opening quarter goals to James Geagan and Jamie Queeney left the holders playing catch-up. A draw looked unlikely while the game evoked memories of a 2002 IFC clash between the sides at this ground.

A foul on Shane Gillespie led to a 17th minute penalty that Ruairi O Coileain netted. The sides shared six more points before the break.

O’Mahonys were six points off the pace, 1-4 to 2-7, at the half-time. Within five minutes of resumption David Nelson’s men had halved the deficit. Stephen Bray and Cathal Smyth registered from play in that phase.

Na Fianna responded positively to move four points clear (2-11 to 1-10) by the 50th minute and were looking set for their second win of the campaign.

Two O Coileain frees revived O’Mahonys and halved the deficit. Gillespie’s goal saw O’Mahonys hit the front but were unable to retain the lead.

O’Mahonys – Marcas Brennan; Darragh Smyth, Niall McKeigue, Darragh Maguire; Brian Dillon, James O’Reilly, Gary O’Brien; Damien Moran, Conor Finnegan; Ruairi O Coileain (1-6, 1-0 pen, 0-4 fs), Stephen Bray (0-3), Alan Forde (0-1); Shane Gillespie (1-0), David Bray (0-1 f), Cathal Smyth (0-1). Subs – Cormac McGuinness for C Finnegan (24), Rory Maguire for Forde (41), Henry Finnegan for D Bray (42), Andy Leech for McKeigue (bc 49).

Na Fianna – Shane Geraghty; Johnny Baldwin, Christy Cosgrave, James Geagan (1-1); Michael Farley, Anthony Neary, Conor Downey; Ollie Lewis (0-1), Daniel Queeney (0-5, 4fs); Peter Slevin, Jamie Queeney (1-0), Ethan Devine; Barry Clancy (0-2), Dalton McDonagh (0-2, 1f) , Harrison Silke. Subs – Colin Ryan (0-1) for Farley (7), Barry Slevin for Geogan (53 bc), Dean Barrett for Devine (58).

Referee – Richard Morris (Blackhall Gaels).