U21 FC final: O’Mahonys too good for Gaeil Colmcille

By Club PRO


Navan O’Mahonys proved too strong for Gaeil Colmcille in the Coolrite Refrigeration Under 21 FC final at Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening.


Navan O’Mahonys 2-19
Gaeil Colmcille 0-7


Donal Finnegan’s charges – who dethroned holders Donaghmore/Ashbourne – after extra time in a thrilling semi-final – made the running from the off.


Gaeil Colmcille lined out with 12 of the side that lost to O’Mahonys by 20 points in the opening round last year. O’Mahonys started with nine of the team that took the field at Bohermeen for that first round fixture in October of last year.


The Brews Hill outfit took control from the off when playing into the town goal with the setting sun at their backs.


By the end nine different players were on the scoresheet for the latest holders of the Joey McKeown Cup.


The pacy Alan Forde capped an impressive performance with four points from play including the opening score within 15 seconds of the off.


The strong running Darragh Smyth went one point better by putting 1-2 to his name. His goal coming in the second minute with Mikey Kelly providing the assist.


Cathal Smyth and Jake Regan with 0-4 and 0-3 respectively were prolific from both play and frees. Team captain Shane Gillespie tagged on a goal and a point in quick succession in the final quarter.


The scoreline would have looked a lot bleaker for Jody Devine’s charges but for the efforts of ‘keeper John Skelly, whose most notable save came near the end when he tipped John Power’s goal attempt over his own bar at the expense of a point.


At the other end of the pitch, cormer-forward Danny McGovern pulled out a lot stops to keep improve the complexion of the scoreboard from the Kells club’s perspective.


O’Mahonys had 1-3 on the board before Seanie Curran got Gaeil Colmcille off the mark in the 12th minute. The Navan-side went on to lead by 1-8 to 0-3 at the break.


The floodlights were pressed into service for the second-half, while O’Mahonys continued to boss matters.


Points from Seamus Mattimoe and McGovern temporariy stemmed the scores being registered at the hospital end.


After Cathal Smyth placed Paul McGrath for a point, it was 1-14 to 0-5 heading into the final quarter.


For O’Mahaonys, the presence of Conor Finnegan at full-back and goalkeeper Jack Walsh ensured Gaeil Colmcille made little headway in the scoring department.


Regan’s delivery provided the assist tor Gillespie’s goal in the 53rd minute while the impressive Danny McGovern sent over Gaeil Colmcille’s final three points of the game.


O’Mahonys – J. Walsh; K. Reddy, C. Finnegan, C. Lynn; J. O’Reilly (0-1), C. Walsh, D. Louth; P. McGrath (0-1), D. Maguire; D. Smyth (1-3), A. Forde (0-4), M. Kelly (0-1); S. Gillespie (1-1), J. Regan (0-3, 2fs), C. Smyth (0-4, 3fs). Subs – E. Murtagh for Louth (40), G. Power for Lynn (42), J. Power (0-1) for C. Smyth (52), L. Morrell for Maguire, D. Ennis for D. Smyth (both 55).


Gaeil Colmcille – J. Skelly; C. Ferguson, P. Tormay, D. Tormay; S. Reilly, C. Keegan, B. Tormay; C. Murray, S. Curran (0-1); O. Reilly, B. Farrelly, F. Ferguson; D. McGovern (0-4, 1f), S. Mattimoe (0-2, 1f), G. McGovern. Subs – C. Roche for G. McGovern (ht), A. McGovern for Reilly (59).

Referee – D. Smith (St Ultan’s).